Sunday, May 6, 2007

Shiphrah is the Coolest


The last few days I started my first 48 hour rotation with Kayla at the Antepolo Clinic, we had one birth of a beautiful baby girl… well she was cute but she was a defiantly a little crybaby for sure… The name of the clinic is called Shiphrah, named after one of the heroic Midwifes in the Book of Exodus in the Bible. I love that it is named after these midwifes. In this book it talks about how Shiphrah and Puah feared God more than they feared mankind. They were defiant when the King of Egypt, Pharaoh, demanded that all boys delivered at birth were to be killed. These women did not live by fear of this king, although at the time this king was the law, they knew that as midwives they were dedicated to the life of these voiceless babies. And when the Pharaoh asked them why they disobeyed his orders they told him of how the Hebrew women are not like the women of Egypt they were strong and lively and gave birth before the midwives could get there, which was obviously a little exaggeration in defense. This was the middies way of letting Pharaoh know that, no we didn’t obey and in their rebellious way telling him that he could not control the strength and growth of the Hebrews. As a midwife you have built an untouchable trust with the mother and with the baby. Families are intrusting life into your hands; these midwives chose to honor this trust even when pressure of the Kings request was upon them. I hope that I will be the kind of midwife that mirrors this character. I hope that the mothers that we work with feel that they have that same trust with myself and the girls that I work with. And I hope that in a time of distress and pressure I would know where to place my fear


Cute little houses next door to the clinic.

Another beautiful sunday senset at the clinic.

2 comments:

Kim said...

smog makes beautiful sunsets! remember when you're looking at them, that mound of gray in the middle that's where i am! -K

Lindsey said...

i love this post alex!!!