Monday, January 29, 2007



I want you to meet Florencia; Florencia is a 98-year-old Mangyan Helot, Midwife, from Puerto Galera Philippines. She started delivering babies before World War 1; this was as far back as her memory would let her go this afternoon. Myself and the other Middies hiked up in the foothills of Oriental Mindoro to visit this beautiful women today, she graced us with old stories of being a midwife while Japan was was invading during WW1, she spoke to us about her life, she shared with us about her family history and how she has trained her daughters to be traditional Helots, which our Midwives in our culture. Florencia is one of the wisest most beautiful women that I have ever met; she is such a treasure on this earth.

5 comments:

Tami Michel said...

Hi Sweetie,
Love this blog! You are right Florencia is just beautiful. Is she really that old?? Amazing. I love the pictures. You look great too. Love you so much.
Mom

gina marie said...

Hi beautiful!

I hope I look as good as Florencia when I'm 98- Better yet, I hope I'm still around, looking good at that age! What a great woman. You look great(tan) and reading your blog is almost like having you here in the office talking like we do- We miss you and send our love and prayers- Be safe Love Gina

Sara Renée said...

Hi Alex! This blog is great! I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear more about your experiences over there. Sending you much love and best wishes :-)

Your cousin,
Sara

SarahKelly said...

How amazing! You need to soak up all her wisdom so you can pass it along! Ahhh...I love you!

Unknown said...

Alex-
Thanks for the update email, it is great to hear things are going good. I think you are an amazing person for devoting yourself to this mission. I am sure you will learn tremendously from this journey about what life really is.
Love, Jenn